Have since 2009 advised (informal or as board member), consulted with, worked at/co-founded a few tech startups (e.g Atbrox and Memkite), and for few occasions I’ve done (mostly technical/competitor) due diligence of startups for venture capitalists and potential acquirers evaluating startups.
Regarding working in startup myself I’ve experience with most aspects in early-stage startup (e.g. product development and trying to find product-market-fit, technology choices related to big data and AI, leadership, recruitment, marketing, sales and international contract negotiation, raising private and public funding, and presenting startup for potential acquirers), not all with great success, but have learned a lot.
Here is the list of startups:
2.1 Educational Technology
- Declara Inc – Declara provides an AI-powered collaborative network – large customers include California Department of Education, Mexico Teacher’s Union and Education Services Australia (Scootle) – Declara has raised $25M from several investors including GSV Capital (NASDAQ:GSVC), Susa Ventures, Catamount Ventures, DCVC and Founders Fund (Peter Thiel). See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declara. See President Obama (August 4, 2015) description of Declara in the video below:
- Fixxli AS – Fixxli develops and owns a customizable ed.tech learning platform called Goruu – example customer: the Norwegian Business School
- Vetu AS – Vetu creates digital learning experiences, and helps companies develop learning content for educational technology
2.2 Sharing Economy
- ShareActor.io – ShareActor provides a SaaS solution for providers of sharing economy services. Example customers include: WeClean, Sonans Group and Payr – To learn about Sharing Economy I recommend having a look at Financial Times article: World’s ‘gig economy’ larger than thought
2.3 Medical Informatics
- Vivit AS – Vivit provides services for patient record vendors to detect (using NLP) potential risk of bad combinations of medicine when patients are being treated both by general practictioners and specialists at hospitals.